Peter Thiel, a billionaire entrepreneur, is one of the most prominent names in the business world. He has co-founded PayPal and Palantir Technologies, among others, and is known for his investments in tech companies like Facebook, Airbnb, and SpaceX.
Peter Thiel was born on October 11, 1967, in Frankfurt, Germany. He grew up in the United States and attended Stanford University, where he earned a BA in Philosophy and a JD from Stanford Law School.
After graduation, he worked as a clerk for a federal appeals court judge before co-founding PayPal with Max Levchin, Elon Musk, and others.
Since then, Thiel has become a well-known venture capitalist and entrepreneur, investing in numerous successful tech startups, including Facebook, Palantir Technologies, and SpaceX.
He's also written several books and is known for his controversial opinions and political activism.
Peter Thiel Net Worth 2023
Peter Thiel's net worth is estimated to be around $6.7 billion as of 2023, according to Forbes. Much of his wealth comes from his investments in tech startups, as well as his co-founding of PayPal and other successful ventures.
Thiel's career began with his co-founding of PayPal in 1998. The company quickly grew to become one of the most popular online payment systems, with millions of users around the world.
In 2002, PayPal was acquired by eBay for $1.5 billion, netting Thiel and his co-founders a substantial profit.
After leaving PayPal, Thiel began investing in other tech startups, including Facebook, where he was an early investor and board member.
His investment in the social media giant has been one of his most lucrative to date, with Forbes estimating his current stake in Facebook to be worth over $1 billion.
Thiel has also co-founded several other successful companies, including Palantir Technologies, which provides data analytics and software services to government agencies and other organizations.
The company went public in 2020, with Thiel's stake valued at over $2 billion at the time of the IPO.
Peter Thiel's Investments and Portfolio
Peter Thiel has made numerous investments in tech startups over the years, many of which have gone on to become hugely successful. Some of his notable investments include:
- Facebook: Thiel was one of Facebook's earliest investors and served on the company's board of directors for several years. His initial $500,000 investment in the company has since grown to be worth over $1 billion.
- Palantir Technologies: Thiel co-founded Palantir in 2003 and has been a major shareholder in the company ever since. His stake in the company was worth over $2 billion at the time of its IPO in 2020.
- SpaceX: Thiel was an early investor in SpaceX, the space exploration company founded by Elon Musk. While his exact stake in the company is not publicly known, Forbes estimates that it is worth several hundred million dollars.
- Airbnb: Thiel was an early investor in the home-sharing platform Airbnb, which has since gone on to become one of the most valuable private companies in the world. His exact stake in the company is not publicly known.
- Stripe: Thiel was an early investor in Stripe, a payment processing company that has since become one of the most valuable fintech startups in the world.