LaTavia Washington McGee and Eric James Williams: Four Americans, who were kidnapped in Mexico last week, were repatriated to the US.
The Mexican military and National Guard escorted two survivors back to the US amid heavily armed convoys on Tuesday.
The US State Department confirmed that the two survivors received assistance from the Mexican government, but did not disclose their identities.
The remains of the other two victims, who were found dead in Tamaulipas, will be repatriated as soon as autopsies are completed. A 24-year-old suspect is in police custody.
Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador vowed to find and punish those responsible for the kidnapping. Meanwhile, US officials have declined to confirm or elaborate on the incident.
Mexican authorities are pursuing all lines of investigation and believe that the Americans were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The kidnapping sparked a frantic search by law enforcement agencies in both countries, with the FBI offering a $50,000 reward for the victims’ return and the arrest of those involved.
According to reports, the four Americans, all native of Lake City, S.C., had crossed the border into the border city of Matamoros from Brownsville, Texas, in a white minivan with North Carolina plates. Family and friends reported that the group had gone on a road trip so that at least one of them could get a tummy tuck in Matamoros.
Unfortunately, after just two hours in the city, they got caught up in deadly gunfire.
The shooters descended on the minivan, and at least one Mexican national was killed in the violent attack. The FBI said the gunmen moved all four into another vehicle and fled the scene.
Over the next few days, the kidnappers moved the group to several different locations, including a clinic, in an effort to create confusion and foil rescue efforts.
Mexican authorities have been much more forthcoming with information about the investigation and about the ordeal the victims endured while they were held captive.
Tamaulipas Attorney General Irving Barrios Mojica told reporters that it appears that Americans were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that the theory of confusion and not a direct aggression is the most viable and likely theory.
The State Department expressed condolences to the family and loved ones of the deceased, adding that they would be providing appropriate assistance.
The remaining victims received assistance from the Mexican government and were transported back to the US. The Mexican President promised to seek justice for the victims, and Mexican authorities have been pursuing all lines of investigation. The FBI offered a $50,000 reward for the return of the victims and the arrest of those involved.
The incident sparked a frantic search by law enforcement agencies in both countries. The victims’ family members reported that they had gone on a road trip, but the incident led to deadly gunfire, and they were kidnapped and held captive for several days. Two survived the ordeal, while the other two were found dead in Tamaulipas.